Monday 20 September 2010

I am the Change…slowly but surely….

I was at a professional networking dinner last night and, mid way through the evening, the conversation I was having with my neighbours turned to philanthropy and more specifically volunteering. What I heard was the usual tale of hardworking folk who, despite all good intention and desire, just didn’t have time to get involved in volunteering in a meaningful way. Now, I can relate to all this. Back in the day, when I was employed by a larger organisation, working the “standard” 100 hour, 6 day weeks, it was hard enough finding time to be with my young family let alone volunteer for charity work. As I was working for a large investment bank, raising money for charity was a much easier option and it’s the route I took to satisfy by altruistic needs. Now, I don’t want to sound patronising or self righteous in any way, but I’ve looked back on that period of my life and come to the conclusion that I could have organised my work/life balance much more efficiently. I had bought in to the whole “face-time” culture that is prevalent at many blue chip corporations. Additionally, especially early on in my career, I was very reluctant to say “no” to any project plonked on my desk for fear it may reflect poorly on me. So I ended up with too much work and not enough time. That got better over time, I’m glad to report.

Nowadays, running my own firm, life is very different. I manage a much better work/life balance enabling me to involve myself with projects like National Sewa Day (NSD). Hopefully, as NSD establishes itself over the next few years as a major national event, my role will develop further and I can contribute more time towards ensuring its continued success.

I guess that’s what NSD is trying to promote – a re-prioritisation of time to fit in volunteering. Now, if your career is of paramount importance to you and all this other guff is an unwanted distraction then that’s fine. Each to their own and more power to ya’. However, if your working life leaves you with the feeling that there’s more to life than dollars, cents and corporate cocktails then join us on 21 November 2010 for the first ever NSD.

I’m trying to become the change I want to see in the world…..i’m a work in progress.



Arup Ganguly

Chairman – National Sewa Day

5 comments:

  1. Hi Arup,
    its great to hear from you. I agree with all the above statements. As you may be aware I am Trustee and Director of 8 voluntary organisation and recently I was surprised when a highly paid council office staff met me at a evening time meeting followed by a day time meeting.He was surprised to see me in a different "hat" so to speak. He questioned me " Then who pays you for these attendances. When I told him that now that I have retired, I enjoy doing this 100 hours a week and I enjoy every minute of this time, he had no words. He just shook his head!.

    By the way It was great to see you on Zee TV. Sunday week. Your speeches were brilliant. Keep it up>. Congratulation and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Smarty....seriously impressed with your committment to the community. I haven't seen the zee tv footage...sounds like i managed to aviod embarrassing myself and the NSD team! See you on Nov 21...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arup, this is an interesting post and it's great to see you financial folk giving so much back to the community and services for charity. Keep up the good work! Times are tough and we live in a very dynamic, high speed digital world, but I suppose we can do something, (take a moment to breath), however small, it is what you do (action) that matters and not how much you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mayank, great to hear from you and thx for your support. You and I need to meet up to discuss your ideas for 21 November 2010....

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...btw, does anyone know if the zee footage is available on line anywhere? wouldn't mind seeing it

    ReplyDelete